...............................

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pondicherry, India



Pondicherry is a different kind of place. It was colonized by the french for quite sometime and therefore feels like half New Orleans half India (never been to France so I can't compare). Many buildings have the intricate gateways and nice porches like you see in the French Quarter. French food has been left behind too and I believe this is one of the few places in India where you can eat a steak.



Pondicherry is famous for the Sri Aurobindo Ashram (a spiritual community where they practice yoga & meditation). The town and the drive into town is dominated with pictures of 'the mother' who founded the ashram.... so I assume the residents here adore her. I assumed she was a politician running for office at first. My guidebook states that she died in 1973 at the age of 97.

No comments:

Post a Comment